Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ageism in Hollywood? You Don't Say

Got an interesting piece of mail the other day, offering to include me in the settlement of a class-action lawsuit that's been going on since 2000. Apparently every network and studio in Hollywood was sued on counts of age discrimination.

The letter I recieved said that if I'm over 40 and have been attempting to get work in TV or film, I might be entitled to compensation. I don't fit into either category, but it was kind of nice to see the issue being addressed.

On the plus side for so-called "older" actors and writers, TV Land just picked up 10 episodes of the new show Hot in Cleveland, starring Valerie Bertinelli, Wendie Malick, Jane Leeves and Betty White (yes, from Golden Girls). Nice!

5 comments:

  1. The over 40 crowd definitely needs more representation on television and in movies. I hope to see more great movies and television with older characters. I'm a little sick of hot 20 somethings to tell the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of our greatest actors and actresses are over 40. Heck some in their 50s, 60s, or 70s. They should get more camera time.
    Oh, and I love Betty White. Did you see her in the Snickers commercial?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got that letter too! And Betty White will be hosting 'Saturday Night Live' this year, so...there's that.

    - Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Theresa! I think they found our names from the WGA script database. That's my best guess.

    ReplyDelete